Today is a beautiful day in the Lowcountry of Charleston, SC. The welcomed sunshine is beaming brightly in my windows, especially in my breakfast room. Yesterday, May 4, 2014, I decided to work in the yard, cutting back the brittle branches of my Lantana, lace Hydrangea and other brittle branches needing attention. Normally, I do these gardening workouts in early February. February 2014 was bitterly cold and wet in Charleston. Every time I planned to go outside, either the weather did not permit, or my right eye was swollen and as red as a beet. My eye is not a vegetable! I do believe I have developed an allergy in my right eye. Of course my doctor disagrees, and I laugh. Silly doctor. She may have the medical degree, but I know my right eye fairly well! Like me, it is stubborn, opinionated and loves to do things on its terms – not mine!
I enjoyed working in my yard and I was thankful I had a pair of good gardening gloves – to protect my newly manicured nails. After all, a woman has got to look nice, even while gardening. Yes, my hair was styled. I wore shorts and a black top. It was a great day to be in the yard, bending, stooping, stretching, walking – working out!
If you are curious as to where this post is going – well, let’s just say – it is free writing, so I do not know where it’s going. According to Natalie Goldberg, the rules of free writing are:
1. Establish a time limit. I usually free write for five or ten minutes. Sometimes more, and sometimes less.
2. Do not edit, or correct your writing. Ooooh—h! That is a hard rule to follow, and those of you who know me recognize I always say, “Rules are made to be broken.” I taught that rule of life to my son when he was just a little guy, and later, I truly ate those words when we were in a discussion and I reminded him that he broke the rule. His reply to me, with his devilish little grin was, “Mom… You’ve always said rules were made to be broken.” I wanted to crawl through the floor because he remembered my words. Silly me. Sometimes being a mom to a small child can be a bit of a task. Those of you who are moms certainly understand.
3. Back to the rules of free writing – “If you get off topic…keep writing…” Didn’t I just do that in rule #2???
4. If you struggle to write when free writing just ask yourself if anything is bothering you while you free write. Anything bothering me? Not yet, but it is such a beautiful morning in Charleston just what could bother me today??? Stay tuned. You might find out!
5. When the time is up – stop. Excuse me. I am a writer. Sometimes the words just pour from my fingertips while my fingers dance across the keyboard!
Today, I have many things to do. For one, vacuuming! Last week was such a busy week I failed to do my household chores, so today is the day, and while I vacuum, I will turn on some Neil Diamond music and dance while cleaning. After all, cleaning is movement and according to my Fitbit One, movement is exercise. Yes, I will bend…and stoop…and stretch…just like I did yesterday…and when the vacuuming is done, I’ll do a bit of Zumba. Yes, today is a great day to workout. Tomorrow – I hear the beach calling my name.
So much for free writing. I must get busy with life. Next chore – styling my hair. Let’s just say, at the moment, my hair is ‘every which a-way but styled,’ looking more like I must’ve stuck my finger in an electrical outlet, if you can picture that. I hope you cannot! After that ritual is done, my makeup awaits, and I must find that silly vacuum cleaner. Yes, I know where it is, but I so hate to vacuum! There is too much life to enjoy!
More later, Readers. Enjoy this beautiful weather! And for those of you who are not having this glorious spring weather, just imagine taking a nice stroll along the beach. Your warm feet feel the soft sand underneath while the chilled ocean waters tease your feet. How I hope springtime will arrive for everyone soon, and all might enjoy the beauty of the welcoming, warm sunshine after such a bitterly cold winter.
Have a great week!
2 thoughts on “Free Writing 101…”
I pay a quick visit everyday a few sites and information sites to read articles, but this weblog presents quality based writing.
I love you.